Try out your paleontology skills with this activity!
Dinosaur Dig for Kids
- Books about dinosaurs/paleontologists
- Chicken bones
- Container of sand
- Tweezers (if desired)
- Paint brush
1) Read a book like Digging Up Dinosaurs (Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science 2) to build background knowledge before you begin.
2) Wash the chicken bones. Allow to dry out for a day or so.
3) Bury the bones in the sand. “Excavate” the bones. Use tweezers for an extra boost in fine-motor development!
4) Dust the bones with a paintbrush!
This activity was perfectly-suited for my little one (she buried the bones over and over again), but I also used a Science Kit with my older daughters to excavate and build a model dinosaur!