I wanted something I could make as a gift using ingredients I already had, so I pulled together a few recipes from my cookbooks at home and came up with this Caramel Almond Crunch popcorn! It is gluten-free and dairy-free (although not quite Paleo)! I’m thinking maybe you could substitute something a little healthier for the sugar, but I was making a ton to give as gifts and brown sugar was on hand!
Caramel Almond Crunch Popcorn (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)
- 2/3 cup popcorn (10-12 cups popped)
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk (this is the kind we normally use)
1) Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Grease two 9×13 inch pans.
2) Combine coconut milk and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
3) Pop the popcorn. We used an air-popper and two big bowls for this amount of popcorn. Add the almonds.
4) During the last minute of cooking, stir in the 1/2 tsp. of salt. Pour the milk/sugar mixture over the popcorn and stir quickly.
5) Transfer the popcorn to the pans. Cook in the oven for one hour, gently stirring the mixture every 15 minutes. Be sure not to burn it!
We think it’s delicious!! This does make a lot, so just cut the recipe in half if you don’t need quite so much. I figured I might as well make a large batch since it does take quite a bit of time!