I really love cooking with the girls and finding easy recipes to make with them, so when they ran across the recipe for Chex Muddy Buddies about a month ago, we decided to give it a try. For some reason, I had never attempted to make it before. Fortunately, it’s super easy to do, and we love to take it to swim meets now! It’s a yummy little burst of carbs for the races. Plus, it makes us pretty popular…with the kids at least. I’m not so sure about the moms. 🙂
Anyway, I think when I was growing up this recipe was always called Puppy Chow, but I’m not quite sure why?!! No matter. Whatever you call it, it is delicious. Generally, I try to make healthier foods for my family to eat, but I’m not sure there is really a way to “healthify” the recipe. I do use real butter, natural peanut butter and bulk chocolate chips from Azure Standard. We’ll just pretend…
Puppy Chow Recipe (AKA Muddy Buddies Recipe)
- 9 cups Chex or Chex-type cereal (pick your fave)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 – 2 tsp vanilla (I like mine a bit more vanilla-y)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1) Melt the peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips over medium heat on your stovetop. Stir fairly constantly (although I’ve been known to leave for a few minutes and have a slightly burnt tasting puppy chow)!
2) When the mixture is nice and smooth, pour it over the cereal. Stir until all the cereal is coated.
3) Pour the covered cereal into a two-gallon plastic bag. Sprinkle the powdered sugar into the bag, seal it, and shake until it is all nice and covered.
4) Store in the refrigerator.
We usually double the recipe (which makes a whole lot of Chex Muddy Buddies), but, amazingly, it all gets eaten at our swim meets!
Have fun cooking with your kids!