One of my favorite desserts mom made when I was a kid was fruit pizza! I loved it! I saw an idea in a summer cookbook magazine from Betty Crocker about 10 years ago, and I’ve made several variations of this 4th of July dessert over the years.
Yesterday, I decided to try two different designs, and the first was this Star-Spangled Fruit Pizza! I know it’s a little too late for you to try for this year (unless you have a special celebration still to attend), so please forgive me! I seem to be running behind this summer with everything!!
4th of July Dessert Recipe: Star-Spangled Fruit Pizza
- Pizza or cookie sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Sugar Cookie Dough (I just bought a roll from the store, because I was running out of time)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 16 oz. container of strawberries
1) Cut the roll of cookie dough into 1/4 inch slices. Press them into a round cookie sheet or pizza pan. They don’t have to be perfectly pressed and fitted together, because they will expand as they cook. Bake according to package directions.
2) Allow the cookie dough to cool completely.
3) Add the sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla into a mixing bowl. Beat together with a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Spread on the cookie.
4) Use a knife to outline a star in the frosting. I just free-handed mine. Line the star outline and cookie perimeter with blueberries.
5) Chop up the strawberries and fill-in the star outline.
It’s best to eat this within a few hours. You can store it in the refrigerator, but the fruit will bleed onto the cream cheese after a while!
I’ll share my other 4th of July recipe variation tomorrow!