I’ve been seeing these craft stick magnets from Teach Preschool on Pinterest, and I wanted to try some myself. I was given a box of craft supplies by a friend that had colored craft sticks, so these were pretty easy to make! Our Oil Pan Magnetic Board is the perfect place to use these.
Craft Stick Magnets
- Jumbo craft sticks
- Paint, colored pencils, or crayons (if using plain craft sticks)
- Magnets or magnetic strip
- Glue (I recommend Super Glue, but be careful with it!)
1) If your craft sticks are not already colored, you’ll want to paint them or use colored pencils or crayons to color them. I don’t recommend markers unless you don’t mind messy hands every time your child uses these!
2) Glue a length of magnet to the back of each craft stick. I use a little bit of glue along with the sticky magnets to be sure the magnet stays in place. I also like to use a fairly long strip to avoid the dangers of magnets being swallowed by a child. Of course, you’ll always want to supervise when your children play with these.
3) Place on a magnetic surface. See if your child can build various shapes (rectangles, squares, triangles, etc.) or letters. Let them experiment!
You could color-code the shapes, if desired. I just made five of each color to begin with, and I’ll probably add more later.