I made this gumdrop flower garden cake for my youngest daughter’s birthday as a spin-off of a cake I saw at FamilyFun. It has been one of my favorite cakes to make so far!
Gumdrop Flower Garden Cake
- Cake mix
- Loaf pans
- Base for cake (cardboard or cutting board)
- Vienna Finger cookies
- Rolling pin
- Green food coloring
1) Mix the cake according to package directions. Divide and bake the cake in three loaf pans.
2) Put two of the loaves together for the flower bed and cover it with frosting. Add Vienna Finger cookies around the perimeter for a garden fence. Crush up Oreos and sprinkle on the top of the cake for the dirt.
3) Flatten out the gumdrops for the tulips using a rolling pin (lay them on wax paper dusted with sugar and put another layer of wax paper on top before you roll them out. Then dip them in sugar, so they will be less sticky!).
This is very challenging! Be sure to use plenty of sugar to keep them from sticking so much. Also, I used toothpicks to hold the daisies together.
4) Cut the other loaf cake in half, place it in front of the “fence”, cover it with frosting, and sprinkle it with green-tinted coconut for grass!
To decorate the table, we added a pair of gardening gloves, seed packets, gardening tools, balloon-twist flowers, gummy worms, and plates, napkins, and forks!