- 1/2 cup paint
- 1 T. unsanded tile grout
- Mixing container for paint
- Paint stir stick
- Sponge paint brush or small roller
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Damp cloth
1) Stir the paint and unsanded tile grout together. (Be sure it is smooth — you can see I had a few clumps!)
2) Paint onto a primed or painted surface with a sponge brush. Apply several coats.
3) Allow to dry. Sand with fine grit sandpaper.
4) Wipe off the dust. “Condition” the chalkboard by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk all over the surface. Remove the chalk with a slightly-damp cloth.
The original directions from Martha Stewart suggest using latex paint, but I used acrylic paint (since I don’t have any red latex paint!!) and put it directly on an oatmeal container to make our Valentine’s Holder! The acrylic paint is a little thicker, so that may be why I had more clumping. Next time, I will make sure to break up all the clumps!
After we’re done using it for Valentine’s, I plan to store craft supplies in it! I can just erase the hearts and write the contents of the container on it!