Are any of your little ones afraid of lightning and thunder? Share this wonderful book by Patricia Polacco with them and then make your own “Thunder Cake“.
Thunder Cake is a beautifully written story about the author’s childhood experience of overcoming her fear of thunderstorms. In the beginning, her grandmother finds her hiding under the bed. She is then led by her grandmother on a journey to gather ingredients for a special cake. In the end, she finds she is much braver than she thought!
Let’s make a cake!
Thunder Cake Recipe
(The original recipe is here at Patricia Polacco’s website.)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two round pans. Cream together one at a time:
- 3/4 cup oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter or margarine (preferably unsalted)
- (The original recipe calls for 1 cup of shortening instead of the oil and butter)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Blend the yolks into the mixture. Beat the egg whites until they peak (about two minutes) and fold them in.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup pureed tomatoes (the secret ingredient!!)
- 2 1/2 cups flour (I used all-purpose. The original recipe calls for cake flour)
- 1/2 cup dry cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Don’t overbake! Our cake turned out a little dry, because I got distracted!!