I don’t know how often you get around to doing STEM activities with your kids, but they can sometimes add up (especially if you are using something like an Osmo Kit or a Sphero). While there are a lot of great free materials and printables out there, sometimes you need to get creative as free resources can only take you so far.
For those times when I want to plan a fun (and cheap) STEM challenge, but don’t want to head to the store or money is tight, I start searching my home. You would be surprised how many fun activities you can come up with just using the stuff you have at home! These are just as fun as something from the store, and are all STEM related.
20 Frugal STEM Activities
- Baking Soda Science Experiment – Steam Powered Family
- Alka Seltzer Rocket – Little Bins for Little Hands
- Hands On Addition – Imagination Soup
- LEGO STEM Boat – Lemon Lime Adventures
- Water Transfer Water Play – Live Well Play Together
- Strong Spaghetti STEM Challenge – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Is Mint Actually Cool – Lemon Lime Adventures
- Build Tissue Box Catapult – Frugal Fun 4 Boys
- Math Facts Building Cards – Left Brain Craft Brain
- Kitchen Science – No Time for Flashcards
- Inquiry Balance Activity – Days with Grey
- Hexbug Maze Using Straws – Buggy and Buddy
- Eating Your Math Homework – Imagination Soup
- Gravity Activity – Buggy and Buddy
- Building with Grapes – Teaching Mama
- Sandbox Volcano – Little Bins for Little Hands
- Leaf Lab – Steam Powered Family
- Quantity STEM Investigation – Life Over Cs
- Build a Snack Machine – Left Brain Craft Brain
- Self Inflating Balloon Science – Lemon Lime Adventures
Also, don’t forget to check out my Marshmallow Sculptures and DIY Roller Coaster for more cheap STEM challenges on a budget! Feel free to share links to your favorite inexpensive STEM activities in the comments!