I love doing this Ice Cream in a Can (or Bag) activity with kids. It does take some work, but you’ll have tasty homemade ice cream within thirty minutes!
Homemade Ice Cream in a Can Recipe
- One large coffee can (or other large round container that can be rolled)
- One medium size coffee can (or two smaller containers — I used almond cans)
- OR Use two gallon-size zipper freezer bags
- Duct tape
- Table salt
For each serving:
- 1/2 cup milk (We used whole milk. Almond milk works, too!)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
1) Mix the ingredients (milk, vanilla, sugar) in small or medium can or freezer bag. We put one serving in each small almond can, but I think we could’ve fit two. We were able to put two small cans in the large one. If you use a medium can, my guess is that you can fit 4-6 servings (but I’m not sure since we didn’t do it that way)!
2) Tape the lids on the containers with heavy duty tape.
3) Put the small container(s) into the large container or put the freezer bag in another freezer bag. Fill with ice and 8 tsps. of salt. Tape the lid securely.
4) Roll the container back and forth with your child (and siblings if applicable). It will take anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on how many servings are in the can. If you get tired of rolling, take turns kicking it around or shaking it. (If you are using a plastic bag, simply shake and manipulate the bag until it freezes.)
5) Take the small can out and shake it. If you don’t feel any liquid moving around, it should be ready! Rinse the outside of the container to keep salt from getting in the ice cream.
Enjoy your ice cream in a can!
Years ago I did this for a first day of school treat…what fun! I also did it in zip lock bags…ice cream mix in small bag, put in larger zip lock bag and pack ice, salt around it. Then squeeze, shake, etc. until frozen.
I have made ice cream in a ziplock bag a few times — for a classroom situation that would definitely work better. I was pretty happy with how this "can" ice cream turned out!
maggy, red ted art says
This is hilarious! And amazing! Wow!
May I include this in my "Get Crafty" featured – it is a monthly "carnival" and this month's theme is "Summer"?!
Here is LAST month's ManMade as a reference, you can eithere leave a comment there or email me on info (at) redtedart (dot) com.
Would be fabulous to inc;lude this in "Summer Get Crafty"
Just wanted to say – we FINALLY Made our own batch of icecream and much to my husband and son's surprise and as if by magice, we had delicious ice cream! Was so pleased. So proud!!!! Will be making more.
Maggy *Red ted art*
This looks like it'd be a great treat! I knew about making the ice cream in plastic bags, but hadn't seen this before. I've included your post on my weekly favorites here: http://play2grow.blogspot.com/2011/01/weekly-favorites-for-january-16-2011.html
Do yout hink it will work with soy or rice milk?