These are my absolute favorite sugar cookies! They are nice and moist — not crunchy like most sugar cookies.
1 cup shortening, butter, or margarine
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream (for a dairy-free version, substitute soy yogurt)
1 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar.
2) In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla. Stir.
3. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
4) Alternately add dry mixture to sugar mixture and wet mixture to sugar mixture. Stir. Repeat. Place dough in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
5) On a floured surface, roll out the mixture about 1/4 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and cook for approximately eight minutes (until bottoms are just barely browned). Allow to cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
These are delicious with cream cheese frosting!! Check out the Name Cookies we made!